By Daniel Tudor
"Daniel Tudor has an exceptional figuring out of up to date South Korea and an aptitude for storytelling. His narrative of the nation's panorama is an earnest, investigative story that seeks to undercover the reality approximately this frequently misunderstood country."—Krys Lee, writer of Drifting House, critically-acclaimed selection of tales portraying the Korean experience
A Geek in Korea reinvents the tradition consultant for the net age. full of articles and pictures, it covers all of the touchstones of Korean culture—from Buddhism and Confucianism to chapters at the conventional arts and disciplines like Taekwondo. There are chapters on cultural code phrases and norms; own relationships; company and know-how; and emblems and practices which are principally Korean. a few chapters are dedicated to Korean popular culture, with recognition to the celebrities, idols, and concrete subcultures linked to them. For viewers to Korea, the writer features a mini-guide to his favourite neighborhoods in Seoul and different locations of exceptional interest.
Spotlighting the originality and creativity of the Koreans, debunking myths approximately them, and answering nagging questions like why they're so keen about schooling and success—Tudor has created the precise e-book for the growing to be ranks of Koreaphiles during this encouraged, insightful, and hugely informative advisor.
Read Online or Download A Geek in Korea: Discovering Asia's New Kingdom of Cool PDF
Similar travel books
Lonely Planet: The world's major trip advisor writer
Whether exploring your individual yard or someplace new, notice the liberty of the open highway with Lonely Planet San Francisco Bay region & Wine nation highway journeys. that includes 4 remarkable street journeys, plus up to date suggestion at the locations you'll stopover at alongside the best way, discover San Francisco, Napa Valley and Sonoma County, all along with your relied on trip spouse. leap within the vehicle, take place the tunes, and hit the line!
Inside Lonely Planet San Francisco Bay sector & Wine kingdom street Trips:
• Lavish colour and lovely photographythroughout
• Itineraries and making plans suggestion to choose the correct adapted routes to your wishes and pursuits
• Get round simply - easy-to-read, full-color course maps, specified instructions
• Insider find out how to get round like a neighborhood, stay away from difficulty spots and be secure at the highway - neighborhood using ideas, parking, toll roads
• crucial information at your fingertips - hours of operation, telephone numbers, web content, costs
• sincere stories for all budgets - consuming, sound asleep, sight-seeing, hidden gemstones that the majority guidebooks leave out
• worthy positive aspects - together with Stretch Your Legs, Detours, hyperlink Your journey
• Covers San Francisco, San Francisco Bay region, Marin County, Napa Valley, Sonoma County, Russian River, Bohemian street and extra
The excellent selection: Lonely Planet San Francisco Bay quarter & Wine nation street journeys is ideal for exploring the San Francisco Bay zone within the vintage American approach - by way of street journey!
• trying to find a consultant fascinated about San Francisco? try out Lonely Planet San Francisco for a accomplished examine the entire urban hasto provide, notice San Francisco, a photo-rich consultant to the city's hottest points of interest, or Pocket San Francisco, a handy-sized guidefocused at the can't-miss points of interest for a fast journey.
• searching for extra wide assurance? Lonely PlanetCalifornia, our so much accomplished advisor to the sector, is excellent for exploring either most sensible attractions and lesser-known gem stones, or try out observe California, a photo-rich advisor to the region's most well-liked points of interest.
There's extra in shop for You:
• For extra US road-tripping principles, try out Lonely Planet's highway Tripsguides toRoute sixty six andPacific Coast Highwaysand Lonely Planet's most sensible journeys guidestoCalifornia, New England, Southwest united states, Pacific Northwest, Florida & the South, ny & the Mid-Atlantic, and united states.
• Or commence with our loose SAMPLER '3 of the USA's most sensible highway Trips' with excerpts from each one street journeys advisor that will help you decide which sector to discover first.
• additionally, try out Lonely Planet's highway journeys courses to Chateaux of the Loire Valley, Normandy & D-Day shores, and Provence & Southeast France and Lonely Planet's most sensible journeys guidesto Italy, France, and eire for a few eu highway journey proposal.
Authors: Written and researched through Lonely Planet.
About Lonely Planet: considering 1973, Lonely Planet has develop into the world's top trip media corporation with guidebooks to each vacation spot, an award-winning site, cellular and electronic trip items, and a devoted vacationer neighborhood. Lonely Planet covers must-see spots but in addition allows curious tourists to get off overwhelmed paths to appreciate extra of the tradition of the areas during which they locate themselves.
Identify: Lonely Planet Grand Canyon nationwide Park
Author: Bridget Gleeson, Jennifer Rasin Denniston
Print size: 256 pages
Publisher: Lonely Planet; four version (March 1, 2016)
Publication Date: March 1, 2016
Lonely Planet Grand Canyon nationwide Park is your passport to the main correct, updated suggestion on what to work out and bypass, and what hidden discoveries watch for you. move rafting at the Colorado River, trip a mule down into the Grand Canyon, or view it from above on a helicopter journey round the canyon's rim; all together with your relied on commute spouse. Get to the center of Grand Canyon nationwide Park and start your trip now!
Inside the Lonely Planet Grand Canyon trip Guide:
User-friendly highlights and itineraries assist you tailor your journey on your own wishes and interests
Insider the best way to shop time and cash and get round like an area, warding off crowds and bother spots
Essential details at your fingertips - hours of operation, mobilephone numbers, web pages, transit assistance, costs, emergency info, park seasonality, mountaineering path junctions, viewpoints, landscapes, elevations, distances, trouble degrees, and durations
Focused at the top - hikes, drives, and biking tours
Honest experiences for all budgets - consuming, snoozing, tenting, sight-seeing, going out, purchasing, summer season and wintry weather actions, and hidden gem stones that the majority guidebooks miss
Contextual insights offer you a richer, extra profitable go back and forth adventure - historical past, geology, natural world, conservation, and local Americans
Over 32 full-color path and park maps and full-color photographs throughout
Useful positive aspects - trip with kids, garments and kit, and Day and in a single day Hikes
Covers Grand Canyon, Kaibab nationwide wooded area, Valle, North Rim, South Rim, Havasupai Reservation, Hualapai Reservation, Flagstaff, Sedona, Lake Mead, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Colorado River and extra
Kinfolk holidays have by no means been really easy with Frommer's. it is like having a chum convey you round, taking you to the areas neighborhood mom and dad and children like top. Our professional authors have already long past all over the place it's possible you'll go-they've performed the legwork for you, and they are now not afraid to inform it love it is, saving you time and cash.
Designated basic and distinct curiosity excursions of the total Cape, in addition to Nantucket and Martha's winery, even if you've got an afternoon, a weekend or longer. excursions of the easiest small cities and villages, from Falmouth to Oak BluffsThe most sensible shorelines, hikes, motorbike trails and kayaking journeys
- Top 10: Milan & the Lakes: The 10 Best of Everything (DK Eyewitness Travel Series)
- Frommer's Seville, Granada & the Best of Andalusia
- Fodor's Washington, D.C. 2014
- Travel and Tourism Services in Australia: A Strategic Reference, 2006
- Europe For Dummies (Dummies Travel)
- Pennsylvania battlefields and military landmarks
Additional resources for A Geek in Korea: Discovering Asia's New Kingdom of Cool
If you say “No” again, then you may hear a pitying, “Ah, never mind, you’ll meet someone soon”—or even get a detailed description of another singleton they know, someone whom you “really should” meet. ” And if you try to change the subject, don’t be too shocked if you are met with further questions. It is a similar story when it comes to religion. I was surprised at first when people would look me in the eye very earnestly, and say, “I am a Christian. ) For me, this is the most awkward question of all.
TRADITIONAL KOREA Pottery Korean ceramics have a 10,000 year history, so it is no surprise that this country produces quality pottery. Probably the best known type is Koryo Cheongja, which has a highly distinctive green celadon glaze, and sometimes featured elaborate styling and animal motifs. During the Joseon era, tastes were more austere and simple, elegant, white-glazed ceramics came into vogue. During the Japanese invasions of 1592–1598, master potters were abducted and sent to Japan. Their artistic descendants produced the famed Satsuma porcelain.
Whatever you think of this kind of advertising, it is hard not to marvel at the skill of the surgeon… 48 A GEEK IN KOREA Boys IN THE LIMELIGHT: The rise of the pretty-boy If you’ve ever watched Korean movies from the 1960s, you’ll be familiar with Shin Seong-il. He was the leading man of the era, appearing in such classics of the time as Barefoot Youth and Early Rain. He was known for playing macho characters who would bounce from bars to street fights to women’s bedrooms, usually with a cigarette dangling from his lips.